Wednesday, August 8, 2012

MAC Mineralize Duo Eyeshadows & Eyeshadow x4 Review

Hiya there!
Today, I've taken all of the MAC eyeshadows that I own and swatched them for a review for all of you. 3 out of 4 of them aren't sold anymore, but I thought I might as well show you them in case you own them but haven't really given much thought to them or if you were just curious as to what the eyeshadows are like. I received the Tone: Grey Eyeshadow x4 as a gift along with the Mineralize Eyeshadow Duos in Under Your Spell and Midnight Madness. I purchased the Water & Ice duo a few months back for around $20 USD.
So here we have the Under Your Spell duo, then on top is the Water&Ice duo, underneath is the Midnight Madness duo, and on the right is the Tone: Grey x4.
This first eyeshadow duo is Under Your Spell. To be honest, the metallic lilac color on the right is my absolute favorite eyeshadow color ever. It's super creamy and pigmented. It applies easily with fingers or with a brush. I usually just use my fingers because it's so easy to do and it blends extremely well. The color shows up very shimmery and metallic. It's a very light pinkish/lilac color that is gorgeous. I don't really experience too much fallout with this eyeshadow duo so I love it, and I wear it to school occasionally. As for the staying power, with Urban Decay's Primer Potion (the regular), it usually lasts for around 8-9 hours and then it'll start to crease or fade. For formal events, I usually include the orange/copper color along with the lighter lilac/lavender color. I use the orange/copper color on the outer corners of my eyelids and on my lower lashlines. The copper color is less pigmented and it's more glittery than its paired color. I actually notice some fallout when I use this color because the shimmery pieces are large and they fall off easily. However, if you're going to a party then it doesn't really matter because your face will just look sparkly. The pink/purple color is more opaque whereas the orange/copper color is more sparkly and glittery. I just absolutely love this duo.
Next is the Midnight Madness duo. I rarely use this because I'm not really sure how to use the super dark blackish/purple color or the gold color. Like the Under Your Spell duo, the dark color is opaque and pigmented while the gold color has sparkly pieces and fallout. The darker color is really pretty, though, and I think it'd be great for a night out makeup look or a smoky eye look. These two duos are better suited for young women for formal events like dances, parties, night outs, etc.
Next up is the Water&Ice duo that MAC still sells for around $20. The design of this duo is different than the previous Mineralize Duos. For starters, there is the same amount of both colors instead of one color being larger than the other. The silver color has great pigmentation and it looks very metallic/shimmery. It is opaque and beautiful. The lower color is a peachy pink with blue veins. I usually swipe my eyeshadow brush over it a couple times to get a full blend of the colors. The result is a gorgeous silvery, light blue color. It is equally as metallic/shimmery looking as the silver color, but it has a bluer color. It has less pigmentation than the old Mineralize Duos which saddens me because while the pigmentation is decent, the old eyeshadows have amazing pigmentation. However, both colors are beautiful and they suit each other better than the other duos do.
There are other shades called Sage&Wisdom(forest green/light green), Joy&Laughter(dirty pink/icy light pink), Fresh&Mint(silvery white/frosty green), Sweet&Sour(dirty gold with green-blueish veins/warm gold).
Lastly, we have the MAC Eyeshadow x4 in Tone:Grey. The colors are (from right-left, top-bottom) A Warmer White, Tone:Grey, The Right Smoke, Waft.The white color is completely matte and can be used as a highlighter. The gray color is not heavily pigmented, but it can be layered to be more opaque. It's sort of an elephant gray color. The third color is a beautiful, almost electric dark blue. This one has a very slight bit of shimmer in it. It's honestly a beautiful color when swatched, but on my skintone, it looks like I have a black eye or something. So this color isn't flattering on yellower skintones which makes me sad because it's such a beautiful color. The next color kind of reminds me of Urban Decay's Gunmetal eyeshadow. It's a dark gray, slightly metallic looking, with a dark blue hue. It's also a gorgeous color, but like the dark blue color, it just makes me look like I got into a fight with my eyeshadow brush.

Conclusion: I really wish they still sold the old Mineralize Eyeshadow Duos because the larger colors are so pigmented and gorgeous while the smaller colors add an exciting pop of color. The current duos are still good, but nothing has changed my affection for the Under Your Spell duo. As for the quad palette, I don't really use it at all because of the aforementioned result on my eyes. Sorry for the extremely long post. Haha, it was actually a bit tiring to write all of this. If you have any suggestions about how to improve my blog or about what products you'd like me to try out, please leave a comment below. Like always, be confident, ladies!
** These shadows were swatched sans primer.

No comments:

Post a Comment